Friday, January 14, 2011

How do you feel?

Today I was quickly and frantically reading material for my English class so I could quickly and frantically write an essay on it when I came to this article...

"Most people don’t know the answer to the question, “How are you? How do you feel?” The reason why they don’t know is that they are so busy feeling what they are supposed feel, thinking what they are supposed to think, that they never get down to examining their own deepest feelings. “How did you like the play?” “0h, it was a fine play. It
was well reviewed in The New Yorker.” With authority figures like drama critics and book reviewers and teachers and professors telling us what to think and how to feel, many of us are busy playing roles, fulfilling other people’s expectations. As Republicans, we think what other Republicans think. As Catholics, we think what other Catholics think. And so on. Not many of us ask ourselves, “How do I feel? What do I think?” – and wait for an answer."
-- S.I Hayakawa

I couldn't help but to stop and think, how do I really feel?
Things could be said about my feelings but I'll spare you the details of my internal wrestling match.
You should ask yourself the same question.
It's interesting what you might discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment