Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sundays.


Growing up I always loved Sunday. I loved getting dressed up for church, sitting on the same pew with my family, or sitting on my Dads lap up on the stand, giggling in sunday school and young womens with Janessa, watching legacy or the occasional different sunday movie, long naps, roast and potatoes, family picnics, and really the full Sunday experience.

My junior year of high school I started working as a CNA. I worked Sundays and have  ever since. When I first started I was only able to attend church every other week or less. The days I missed church I still felt edified from the elderly I was surrounded by and the service I was giving them. However, over time, I felt my mind set and heart changing. Missing church no longer felt like a big deal. It was just another day. Even though I always attended when I could, in my mind and heart attendance was more difficult. After realizing what was happening, I had to make a conscience effort to change my attitude with the help of the spirit whether I was working or not.

When I returned from Ethiopia the first time I went right back to work, Sundays included. Only this time, I went to church at 9am then went straight to work from 12:30- 8. Sundays felt painfully long. I would miss out on all sorts of family activities, a day to relax, and I would always be exhausted from staying up late Saturday night (which was no ones fault but my own).  It didn't take long for me to start dreading Sunday. I tried to change my attitude and think of the people I was taking care of but it was still very hard. My Sabbath day just wasn't the same.

This year my Sunday work schedule has changed again. To be able to attend church every week I choose to attend my home ward in the afternoon (All of us employees originally had church in the morning). Now I get to work 6am to 12:30 and then rush to church. Unfortunately, I struggle staying awake in church and as happy as I should be these days. Last week I told myself I needed to change that. Today I stayed awake all through sacrament meeting and primary. I made an effort to smile more and talk to people I wouldn't normally talk to. And you know what? Today was a good Sunday. I felt the spirit stronger and uplifted more. The talks were more meaningful, the choir number was so beautiful, and primary was funner. It's a choice people. and If by now you're wondering why I still work on Sunday. Simply stated, I love the elderly I take care of and they still need help on Sunday.

I still love dressing up for church and I loved my outfit today. I follow and stalk a lot of fashion bloggers. It makes me want to post more of my wardrobe choices. Maybe just once a week. Oh, and don't you just love that skirt?? I thrifted it this week for $4. My beautiful necklace came from Ethiopia. I bought it literally off a women I saw at Market. My vest came from Ethiopia as well. It was hand crocheted by a women suffering from leprosy. She, along with others, use their handicraft to be able to provide for her family. oh, cool/nasty story. I haven't had/made time for a shower the last few days...gross. I can't make myself get up early enough to shower before work on Sundays and I don't have time after. So I was going to have to go to church today with a grease ball head. But, I didn't. Instead I put baby powder in it. And you can't even tell, can you??

Hope you had a fabulous Sunday too!

2 comments:

  1. I miss giggling with you on sundays...
    janessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The vest turned out AWESOME. You really have an eye sister. Wish I could've pulled it off. You look great.

    ReplyDelete