Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What have you seen today?

This week marks the last full week I have in Ethiopia. I've noticed I've been paying attention to everything more closely. I've been more engaged instead of passive to things and others around me. Looking into peoples eyes, accepting more slobbery kisses, trying to memorize details and feelings as I walk the streets. My senses and heart seem to be extra tuned in. Experiencing the present moment is beautiful. I've been able to do more then just look around me but see instead. See the love a street women had for her small son as they sit and play with one another along the side of a busy rode. See ambitions and hopes as kids scattered away from school dressed in uniforms. See and feel pure love as young girls walked at my side offering to share their meager bread in outstretched hands. This week I've seen and been touch by the hearts around me. It makes me want to be better and give more. It has reminded me how amazing people are and that the human race is more alike than different. We may live in various environments, speak different languages and work assorted professions, but at our core, we are all the same. It does not matter whether we are wealthy or poor, old or young, ethnic or Caucasian. All of us just want to be loved, appreciated and heard. We all want to have family and friends to support us, good health, and laughter to enrich our lives. We all are sons and daughters of God. We all have value and goodness to offer. Bono once said, “Where you live shouldn't determine IF you live.” I've decided seeing is an important part of living. So as you read this think, what have you seen today? What can you see today?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome as always Kate! Enjoy the moments of this trip and remember that there will be more to come.

    ReplyDelete