Saturday, December 24, 2011

Two in One.

Over the last week I've been writing "The final day in Ethiopia" post. Needless to say, it hasn't been that easy to sum up so I've just kind of put it off. Today I thought I would sit down and write a Christmas post instead. Being in Ethiopia I missed out on all of the pre-celebrations and many traditions to Christmas. It wasn't until I landed in Amsterdam and saw an airport covered in Christmas decor and trees that it really hit me that it was almost Christmas and that I was going home. When I got home I felt like I had missed out on so much. How could I get in the holiday spirit if I didn't do all the partying before hand? And then I started reading the start of my "Last day in Ethiopia" post....
My last day in Ethiopia was hard. I knew the day would come from the beginning, counted down the days, watched the days become smaller and smaller and yet the final day was still painful to face. After all, I wasn't just leaving Ethiopia but people I deeply love. People who made a difference to me. When I walked away from the hospital and Tarikua (A beautiful disabled baby girl who was abandoned at the hospital and was placed in a government orphanage. She stole my heart.) for the last time my heart physically hurt and tears ran down my cheeks. But that wasn't the end. Then there was Jason, his boys, Mesgana, my Ethiopian family, and close friends. All people I love. By the time I got to the airport that night, I was sure my heart would burst. In fact, after I gave my last hugs at the airport, when I turned with my bags to check in, I couldn't even turn back around to give a final wave, it just hurt too bad.
I am incredibly thankful I returned to Ethiopia. I am thankful I was trusted and privileged to interact with the beautiful children at Mother Teresa's hospital. I am thankful for the love and simple joys of life the children showed me. I am thankful for Jason and his example of love and compassion. I am thankful for the boys of Yehiwot Raey and their inspiring strength. I am thankful for excited, sweet, and obnoxious strangers who would put a smile on my face just by saying hi to me. I am thankful for my Ethiopian family who truly made me part of their family and gave me more love then I deserve. I am thankful for dreams and the wonderful adventures and lessons they bring. I am thankful for God and his endless love and beautiful people, all across the world.

As I read through it, even though it wasn't finished, feelings and memories came flooding back to my heart and mind. And I realized, I may not be in the holiday spirit but now more then ever before I feel closer to Christ. Serving in Ethiopia taught me, strengthened me, and blessed me to give and receive of love. And that is what Christ's life was all about. In the spirit of Christmas, let us all celebrate and remember to give of love.

"Glory to God in the highest and on Earth peace, goodwill towards men."
Melkem Gena! (Merry Christmas in Amharic)

1 comment: