Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hi, my name is Kite.

or Kete and sometimes Kity.
I always slaughter Ethiopian names, but the good news is,
Ethiopians can't pronounce my name either.
It makes me giggle.

Life just keeps getting better and better here.
That doesn't mean things don't go wrong or that I'm always comfortable.
but I've learned that it's okay to change your plans and get out of your comfort zone.
Time here has brought sweeter rewards.The children I spend my time with have touch my heart so deeply.  It has been so fun to get to know them more. To remember their names, to have them come give me hugs and kisses as I walk in the gate, and to simply learn their likes and dislikes. I'm thankful for their examples. 

The past couple weeks I've been a bit in shock. 
I keep thinking to myself with disbeleive, "It's already November?!" 
and then when I realized it's the THIRD week of November, I about die.
Where has the time gone?
I have been a bit slow realizing when Thanksgiving actually is.
Oh, THIS WEEK.
now that is just nuts.

I've been thinking of last years Thanksgiving, I celebrated it in Ethiopia too. 
You can read about it here and here
It was quite the adventure. 
I can't wait to find out what this Thanksgiving will bring. 

To get in the mindset of Thanksgiving I've been reading some conference talks on gratitude. What inspiring leaders we have. One of my favorite quotes came out of a talk from our Prophet Thomas S. Monson, The Divine Gift of Gratitude. He quotes Josheph S. Smith--

“The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!” 

President Monson continues "A grateful heart comes through expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father for His blessings and to those around us for all they bring into our lives." I love the power in that profound sentence.  

I'm thankful for you, Happy  Thanksgiving! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are following your dreams and creating incredible memories. I'm grateful your my sister :) I Hope time slows down for your sake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving Kate!

    ReplyDelete