Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"Why are you returning to THAT country?"

A year ago today I stepped onto a plane.
Little did I know how much adventure was in store for me.
and now, I'm planning to step back onto that plane to go back.


It's surprising how vocal some people have been about what they think/feel about me returning to Ethiopia.

I've heard a number of (but not limited to): "You really need to finish school." "You've already been there." "But America is so much better." "It's really unsafe there." "THAT country and THOSE people have so many problems." "What makes you think that you can help them?" "Why don't you stay here to date and get married?" "That is NOT a good idea." "You're crazy."

And I admit, some of them are viable reasons and sometimes I think I'm crazy too. I can usually smile and shake off the negative comments knowing how strongly I feel impressed to return. But lately they have piled up and been discouraging.
For others, but mostly for myself, I thought It would be helpful to quickly explain my reasoning.

I've always known I wanted to travel and help people internationally.
My first opportunity came when I got to go to Ethiopia.
It was the most amazing and hardest experience of my life.
It made me better.
My testimony was strengthened.
It forced me to grow, mature, and see things in a way I didn't know was possible.
I fell in love with the people and culture.
without a long explanation, that is why i'm returning.
to help people I love.
to serve, sweat, laugh, and cry with them.
to make a difference.
to them.
and me.

I'm not going into this naively.
I know what it is like there.
I know the challenges, dangers, and obstacles ahead.
But I also know the joy, happiness, gratification, and purpose it will bring.
and most importantly, I know I need to return.
and I can't wait.

2 comments:

  1. I am soooo excited for you! When Alyssa told me you were for sure going back I was jealous.

    I miss it there.
    I love it there.
    I understand the yearning to go back. To serve. To love.

    That is how my family ended up in Ethiopia on a fluke. That turned into a project. That turned into a whole new life.

    Don't let anyone stop you.
    I felt the same way before I moved. Even some of my siblings voiced those concerns.

    If you know, you know.

    ♥ Celina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you.
    I wish I had the opportunity to travel abroad and see what life is like and to learn. But this is the path that you are supposed to be taking and you know.
    So don't let anyone else get you down about it.
    We all can't fit into the perfect every one does it mold. I don't think you would ever be happy doing that either. Your adventures and everyone else is just jealous.
    I just hope to be able to see all your fantastic pictures and your wonderful stories.
    Good luck on your journey.

    ReplyDelete