Monday, October 25, 2010

Bucket List.


I have a bucket list. It happens to be long and full of craziness. I am definitely a dreamer. When I dream, I dream BIG and thats how I ended up in Ethiopia. My list ranges from weird things like wanting to deliver a calf ( A human baby was way beyond that), to traveling the world, to girly things like hold hands and eat cotton candy, to ambitious things like run a full marathon. I have so much I want to do and see in this lifetime. I plan to make it epic and always interesting. October 21st was a big day as far as my bucket list was concerned. I got to cross off a major event on my list. Drum roll.... I got dread locks. Thats right, a full head of beautiful dreads. I've always thought they were cool and wanted them. Now seemed like the perfect time to complete the dream. I'm young and in Africa so why not? Its taken me awhile to hunt down a beauty shop that actually does them. I'v asked every Ethiopian I've seen with dreads if they knew where I could get them done. The common response was, " These are natural." I even had a man tell me he could help me make them using avocado and eggs. I kindly declined the offer. Luckily, I found a place that turned out being close to my house. I started the process just after 9 A.M. and didn't leave the shop till almost 5! Thats right, 8 hrs sitting getting my hair turned into a rats nest. I've never had a hair style take so long. First they connected extra hair to extend my own so my dreads would be long enough and not look ridiculous. Next came the relentless ratting and rubbing the hair between their palms. Following that they sewed the dread straight so it wouldn't be all frizzy and fat. The sewing definitely took the longest. It made them look good though. Next came hot wax applied to each dread, I have around 40 i think. Then I had to sit under the dryer to set the wax in. After all that they finally said I was finished. I have to leave the stiff wax in for a few days and then can wash it out. The dreads are crazy but are sweet! Ethiopia happens to the holy place for Rastafarians. It's their "Zion". I fit right in.... though I haven't seen any girls with dreads here not to mention a white girl. Oh well.


Dread locks- CHECK!

3 comments:

  1. Way to be the first and set a style in full circle. Maybe now you will start seeing other girls doing it. Good luck with the rest of your bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise! I've been mildly blog stalking you. And fair is fair so I can send you an invite to ours if you're interested. I have a "bucket list" posted on there as well. Dreads isn't on there...yet. Mostly because I'd be afraid to chop my hair again. I'd never let it grow back out! But the purpose of this comment is actually to request a better picture of your hair! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie! I'd love to have an invite to your blog so I can start stalking you. And for the record I definitely think you would look good with dreads! I will get a better picture of my hair soon too. My blog tends to be hit and miss thing. For some reason the Government here has blogs blocked sometimes. If all else fails I'll upload one on facebook.

    ReplyDelete