Monday, October 3, 2011

Overwhelming Gratitude.

Tonight my body is exhausted and worn but my thoughts are far from sleep.
Lists and lists of to do's are racing through my mind.
worried and overwhelming thoughts are lingering.
and my excitement is bursting!
But leading the race is that of gratitude.
I feel so incredibly grateful for the opportunity I have to return to Ethiopia.
to be part of something bigger then just myself.
I'm thankful for the support, encouragement, and even the advice and caution I've received.

Tonight, at work, I was helping a 95 year old man get ready for bed.
We had this conversation:
Man: Can I talk to you like you're my daughter?
Me: Yeah, of course you can. Whats bothering you?
Man: I'm just worried.
Me: About what?
Man: You leaving the country. You know, men can't be trusted. You need to be really careful.
Me: (Speechless.)

The conversation went on for a time with him expressing his concern. I was stunned and touched. It made me step back and realize how much he and others care about me. It made me understand the endless questioning and apprehension I've received but simply endured and grumbled about from others. I'm so lucky to have such wonderful people in my life.

The awe of the amazing people in my life didn't stop there. I stumbled out from work to my car, thinking how tired I was and blah blah about me. I plopped into my car, grabbed the keys sitting in the cup holder, went to put them in the ignition when a note caught my attention. Resting against the speedometer was an enveloped labeled Kate Hill. Thoughts of who and what it could be started spinning through my mind. As I flipped the envelop over it read: "For the kids of Ethiopia." Inside was $100 dollars. Tears replaced my selfish thoughts and wondering. I'm not sure who you are or if you even read my silly blog but I want to sincerely thank you. Thank-you for being so selfless. Thank-you for supporting my dreams in Ethiopia. I really appreciate it and those in Ethiopia will too. I'm planning to purchase tooth brushes, tooth paste, soap, and other hygiene supplies with the money you donated.
A big thank-you to JoAnne Haws, her friends, and mother, for giving of there time to sew and donated items as well. You are making a difference to others.

Even though I have a million things to do... in only three days I'm going to enjoy them.
I am so blessed, thanks to all of you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment